Friday, December 4, 2009

Der Krampus




All pictures of Der Krampus! (I stole these from Google, but I will try and take some Sat and post them.)

At first I wasn't sure if this was the right time to come to Austria, I really didn't want to miss XC, my favorite sport at school, and football season. But I have been able to run here, and we have a football league here (in which I didn't get into the playoffs ;( ) Anyway, there is something so awesome here, I am so glad I get to experience it... its is the Krampus!!
St. Nicholas day is the 6th and on the night of the 5th he comes around and gives presents, just like Santa back home, the difference is that there is also the Krampus, a devilish like figure that run around punishing bad children and giving them coal. This tradition has expanded, however, and now the Krampus do "runs" or parades through town. The masks are now made by specially skilled artisans, its pretty intense. The best part, is that now after the festivals, they run around town attacking people, that's right, they whip people with sticks, hit them with wood, or belts, and its all totally legal. You could just be walking home at night and meet up with one of these fellows, and it would not be pretty. The even go into the schools terrorizing children during the day!! What a great holiday!!! The best part, is that they focus on the women, especially the American women!! So basically the guys can just sit and laugh!! (I know, I know, it sounds terrible and cruel... but its all in good fun!) So the other night we were chilling at a local place in town. All of a sudden the lights got low, the music changed and you heard people screaming. The Krampus had come inside and were terrorizing the place!! It was awesome. We playfully pointed out the girls in the group, and the Krampus proceeded to go and attack them! The girls were not hurt at all, although a little shaken up, and after they posed with some people for photographs, un-luckly, I forgot my camera!! On Saturday night is the big Krampus run and most of the kids are going down. I will bring my camera this time, and hopefully not get beaten up too bad... we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment